1/6 Photos of Bacon-Wrapped Beef Tenderloin With Madeira
1 hr 35 mins
I found this dish in a Southern Living Christmas cookbook and made it for my husband's birthday dinner a couple of years ago. Since then, it has become one of our favorite holiday dishes--eaten for both Thanksgiving and Christmas! This past year, we invited our neighbors over to celebrate Christmas with us and this was what we had, served alongside balsamic green beans, a potato gratin, and some lovely wheat rolls. It is not as time consuming as a first glance at the instructions make it appear to be. Part of the prep can be done ahead of time and making the sauce is easy and goes fairly fast. And, the gentleman at our local wine store said that a dry cooking sherry can work as a suitable substitute for the madeira wine, which can run a little on the pricey side.
My Private Note
meat sl ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2721.55-2948.35 g beef tenderloin, trimmed
- 14.79 ml fresh ground pepper, divided
- 7.39 ml salt
- 118.29 ml chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, divided
- 59.14 ml chopped fresh rosemary
- 59.14 ml fresh thyme leave, divided
- 453.59 g sliced bacon (about 20 slices)
- 78.07 ml minced shallot
- 198.44 g shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
- 198.44 g oyster mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
- 236.59 ml madeira wine
- 396.89 g beef broth
- 297.66 g beef consomme, undiluted
- 44.37 ml unsalted butter
- fresh herb, for garnish
- 1Cut tenderloin in half crosswise; sprinkle both pieces evenly with 21/2 teaspoons pepper and salt.
- 2Combine ¼ cup parsley, rosemary, and 3 tablespoons thyme; rub over beef.
- 3Fold narrow end of tenderloin under to achieve a uniform thickness.
- 4Wrap beef around tenderloin pieces, and secure at 1” intervals with heavy string.
- 5Heat 12” nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; add beef in 2 batches.
- 6Cook 8 to 10 minutes, turning often to brown all sides.
- 7Remove beef from pan, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings in skillet.
- 8Place beef on rack in large roasting pan.
- 9Bake at 400 degrees for 40 to 50 minutes or until meat thermometer inserted into thickest part of tenderloin registers 140 degrees (rare) to 160 degrees (medium) or to desired degree of doneness.
- 10Remove tenderloin to a serving platter, cover with aluminum foil; let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Remove string.
- 11Meanwhile, heat reserved pan drippings in same skillet over medium-high heat; add shallots, mushrooms, and remaining tablespoon of thyme.
- 12Cook 3 minutes; add Madeira, stirring to loosen particles from bottom of pan.
- 13Add beef broth and consommé, bring to a boil.
- 14Remove from heat; add remaining ½ teaspoon pepper, remaining ¼ cup parsley, and butter, whisking until butter melts.
- 15Slice tenderloin into 1/2”-thick slices; arrange on serving platter. Garnish, if desired. Serve with Madeira sauce.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bacon-Wrapped Beef Tenderloin With Madeira
Serving Size: 1 (585 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1078.8
- Calories from Fat 681
- Total Fat 75.6 g
- Saturated Fat 29.5 g
- Cholesterol 271.3 mg
- Sodium 1225.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 18.1 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 67.9 g