Prep 1 hr
Cook 40 mins
This may take a little time to make but well worth the little extra effort, very impressive to serve to your dinner guests, this is one of the best recipes for baked onions you will ever have! The onions may be boiled and the insides removed ahead of time and refrigerated to finish filling and baked later. The original recipe called for only for 4 onions, but I increased and "tweaked" the recipe slightly.
- 8 onions (about the size of a tennis ball, with outer skin removed, no larger as you will not get the bacon or)
- 1 -2 tablespoon minced fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 4 -6 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup whipping cream (unwhipped)
- 1 1⁄4 cups grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- 8 slices uncooked bacon or 8 slices pancetta, slices
- Cook the onions in boiling water until tender, but not falling apart (about 25 minutes).
- Remove from pot with a slotted spoon and cool.
- When cool enough to handle, cut off about an inch off of top of onions with a very sharp knife, and finely chop the tops.
- Trim the root end of the onions slightly, just enough so they can stand straight.
- Scoop out about a heaping tablespoon from the center of each onion (make certain to keep the inside intact) and finely chop the center, adding to the rest of the chopped onions.
- Transfer the hollowed onions to an oiled baking dish (I use an 11x7-inch for 8 onions, if you are only making 4 onions, then use an 8x8-inch).
- Set oven to 375 degrees.
- In a skillet over medium heat, saute the chopped onions for about 3 minutes in oil.
- Stir in whipping cream and remove from heat.
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
- Fill the whole onions with some of the sauted onion and Parmesan mixture, then spoon the remainder of the mixture around the onions in the baking dish.
- Wrap a piece of pancetta or a bacon slice around the middle of each onion and secure with a toothpick.
- Bake the onions for about 40-50 minutes (depending on the size of your onions).
KITTENCAL Does It Again!!!!! Incredibly, delicious stuffed onion recipe. I cooked the onions in the AM and did the rest for dinner. I scooped out a golf ball size of the onion innards which may have been more than the recipe intended, however it worked out good in the end. I also found out I didn't have any toothpicks so I just draped the bacon over the onions. I also baked it for 40 minutes but if you like your bacon more well done (see photo), then you can pop it under the broiler for 1-2 minutes. Great recipe! Thank You For Posting! This recipe was made for the 2009 Bargain Basement tag game. :)