1/9 Photos of Bacon With a Vegan!
Tastes remarkably like bacon! I tried a recipe on Zaar and tweaked it. This makes great sandwiches and can be used in stir frys, to top salads, anywhere you might use bacon. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon oil, neutral tasting (don't use extra virgin olive oil-too strong)
- 1 (14 ounce) package firm tofu, cut into strips (to resemble bacon)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (I use Bragg's Aminos)
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar (I might try molasses next time)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- fresh ground black pepper (optional)
- 1Heat oil into large skillet.
- 2Fry "bacon" strips on low heat until crispy on the outside. To do this, place them in the pan in the oil and let them simmer for about 10 minutes, without turning. Now they are firm enough to turn easily.
- 3Turn them and simmer another 10 minutes on the other side.
- 4Mix the soy sauce with the liquid smoke and brown sugar, stirring to disolve sugar.
- 5Remove skillet from heat.
- 6Pour the liquid smoke mixture into the pan and move the tofu around so all sides are coated. Place back on heat.
- 7Sprinkle the nutritional yeast, covering all sides. If you like, sprinkle a little freshly ground black pepper on now. Stir gently until the liquid is gone and the tofu is covered with a crispy coating of yeast. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bacon With a Vegan!
Serving Size: 1 (121 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 133.1
- Calories from Fat 72
- Total Fat 8.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 518.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 11.5 g