random witty name's Note:
I found this recipe in a cookbook of mine while trying to find a good bread for the maccaroni and cheese ( http://www.recipezaar.com/Homestyle-Macaroni-and-Cheese-12360) I was making, I wanted on that baked at the same temperature so I could bake them together. This popped out at me immediately, since then I have made it each time I made the mac and cheese. To me it's a winning combination. The recipe states that it's great for breakfast's served with a soft cheese with herbs. Now for side notes, Personally my preferred "warm place" to make dough rise is in the oven. Heat up the oven to 200, turn it off, then put in the dough ( I saw this technique in a review I read once. I need to find it again if only to thank the reviewer). If it's still in a bowl just put dishrag underneath said bowl while it's in the oven is the strategy I use. For a "meat-free" version of these twists twist the dough by hand and sprinkle with popy or sesame seeds before baking. The dough recipe could also be used to make rolls or a loaf of bread. While listing ingredients I put my variations if any to recipe in parentheses.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix the flour, yeast and salt in a bowl and stir them together. Add a little of the water and mix. Add the remaining water and use your hands to pull the mixture together, to make a sticky dough.
- 2Knead the dough for 5 minutes, until it is smooth and elastic.
- 3Divide the dough into 12 evenly sized pieces and roll each one into a sausage shape. Now is the time to grease a baking sheet.
- 4Wind a strip of bacon around each dough "sausage".
- 5Brush the "sausages" with beaten egg and arrange them on the prepared baking sheet. Set aside in a warm place for 30 minutes until doubled in size.
- 6Preheat the oven to 400 Bake the "sausages" for 20-25 minutes, until cooked and browned.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bacon Twists Aka Bacon Wrapped Breadsticks
Serving Size: 1 (87 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 159.5
- Calories from Fat 7
- Total Fat 0.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 17.6 mg
- Sodium 20.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 5.0 g