Recipe by mary winecoff
The squash have arrived!! My friend and I made this for her family last night (she had never cooked squash before!). They loved it!
Top Review by wealthave
Wow! For such simple ingredients, the flavor is outstanding. I added about a third of a cup of frozen spinach for color and was pleased with the results. I'm thinking about adding this to my Thanksgiving table. Thanks, Mary, for a recipe that even my squash disliking DH gobbled up!
- 5 -6 squash, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped (Vidalia is the best)
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups breadcrumbs, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 6 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil or Steam squash and onion until tender.
- Mash, then add salt and pepper.
- butter, egg, 1 cup bread crumbs and cheese.
- Mix and place into a greased 1 quart casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining bread crumbs and bacon.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.