Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Main dish Salad -- Cooking Light -- August/September 2002
- 12 slices bacon
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 slices baguette, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper, divided
- 5 cups romaine lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 4 beefsteak tomatoes or 6 medium tomatoes, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, coarsely chopped
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place bacon on rimmed baking sheet, bake 25 to 30 minutes or until crisp. When done, put on paper towels to drain. Cool and crumble coarsely.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in small skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add bread slices and fry 3 to 4 minutes or until light golden brown, turning once. Put on paper towels to drain. Cool and break slices into into 4 to 5 pieces.
- IN large bowl, stir togeather remaining 1 tablespoon oil, mayonnaise and 1/2 teasppon of pepper. Add lettuce and toss to coat. Arrange lettuce on serving platter. Scatter bread over lettuce and top with tomatoes, sprinkle remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper and crmbled bacon. Garnish wish basil.
Wonderful! I love a BLT Sandwich, and this was a great twist on the theme. I'll be sure to enjoy this often, especially when I can get fresh tomatoes! Thanks for sharing! Made for Holiday Tag.