Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Layers of bacon, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, cheese, eggs and bread baked in a savory casserole.
Make and share this Bacon, Tomato and Cheese Strata recipe from Food.com.
- nonstick cooking spray
- 8 ounces bacon
- 1 cup green onion, sliced
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) candiced tomatoes with garlic, drained
- 8 slices white bread, lightly toasted
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F Spray 8x8-inch baking dish with cooking spray; set aside. Cook bacon in large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from skillet, reserving 2 tablespoons of the drippings in skillet. Drain bacon on paper towels; set aside. Add onions and mushrooms to drippings in skillet; cook and stir 5 minutes, or until onions are crisp-tender. Crumble bacon. Add to vegetable mixture in skillet along with the diced tomatoes; mix well.
- Layer 4 slices of bread, half of the vegetable mixture and 3/4 cup of the cheese in prepared dish. Repeat layers. Beat eggs, milk, mustard, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper in medium bowl with wire whisk until well blended. Pour evenly over ingredients in dish; press bread gently into egg mixture. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cut into 6 pieces to serve.