Recipe by abqrock
This is a tasty GF meatloaf. Even Okie DH loves.
Top Review by Bondem777
This was a great meatloaf. I will make this one again. My husband loves mushrooms, so I used about three times the mushrooms called for and half the bacon. I used ground chuck instead of extra lean ground beef. I served this with mushroom gravy. Fantastic.
- 12 ounces bacon (diced)
- 4 medium white mushrooms (chopped)
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs extra lean ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup evaporated milk or 1⁄4 cup half-and-half cream
- 6 ounces shredded swiss cheese
- 1⁄2 cup corn flake crumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp but not burned.
- Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain and cool. Remove all but a tablespoon of the bacon fat from the
- skillet and saute the mushrooms and onions until tender.
- Allow to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, mix the beef, egg, and milk. Add the
- mushroom/onion mixture, all but a few spoonfuls of the
- swiss cheese and all but one tablespoons of the bacon
- bits. Add the corn flake crumbs and mix well until blended.
- Shape into a loaf and place in a large loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 for about an hour, or until cooked through.
- Drain fat from the pan and sprinkle the reserved cheese
- and bacon on top. Bake an additional 5 minutes, or until
- cheese is bubbly.
- Allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 4 to 6