Recipe by Rita~
Felt like I was in Competing in Cupcake Wars! The ingredients from Dining on a Dollar Recipe Contest -- Spring 2013 made it tricky to create a dessert. Must say I nailed it! Tender, soft crumb with hint of bacon and topped with Maple frosting complement each other perfectly. The budget ingredient ketchup and applesauce gave the cupcakes a sweetness and added moisture. A MUST MAKE! You won't be disappointed.
Top Review by nisea916
I had been wanting to try these for a while now. I omitted the cocoa, had none, and had to use a boxed white cake. I didn't realize it was vanilla flavored cake until all was mixed and I will not make that mistake again. I enjoyed the flavor of the cakes (minus the vanilla flavor) and didn't have a problem with them being dry. May be because I hate waste and I had a bit more applesauce in the fridge than what the recipe called for so I dumped it in. There was one thing that wasn't too pleasing and that was the little chunks of bacon. I chopped them quite small but they were still little hard pieces that you had to chew. That can be solved quite easily though. Thank you so much for the recipe!
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 cup oil or 1⁄4 cup bacon drippings, chilled slightly
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup cooked bacon piece
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) yellow cake mix
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl blend ketchup, applesauce, cocoa powder, oil or bacon drippings and eggs mixing well.
- Add cake mix and bacon crumbles whisk for 2 minutes.
- Place into foil lined cup cake pan.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool.
- Meanwhile beat syrup and butter together 1 minutes till light and fluffy. Add vanilla, salt and sugar and beat an other 2 minutes.
- Pipe or spread frosting on the cupcakes.
- Now watch everyone enjoy while they figure the ingredients.
- If you want to give a hint garnish with some extra bacon pieces.