Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Posted per request for recipes using round steak. I thought this recipe looked very interesting but haven't made it yet. Recipe source: Simply Simpatico.
- 3 lbs round steaks, cut 1 1/2 inches thick
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons meat tenderizer
- 1 bell pepper, cut into strips
- boiling salt water
- 4 slices bacon, cut in half
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- Preheat oven to 375-degrees F.
- Cut pocket in steak for stuffing and sprinkle with tenderizer.
- Cook bell pepper in boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain. Reserve.
- In a heavy skillet over medium heat cook bacon until limp; drain drippings and reserve.
- Stuff steak with bacon and peppers and skewer shut.
- Brown steak in reserved bacon drippings over medium heat.
- In a seperate skillet melt butter and brown sugar together, stirring until bubblling. Add vinegar, salt, bay leaves and tomato sauce and stir to combine.
- Place steak in a 9x13-inch baking dish and pour sauce over meat.
- Bake for 1 3/4-2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Slice across grain to serve.
This was not bad. If I make this again I'd put the bacon on top instead of inside since it was such a pain to make pockets in to the steaks. I'd also only cook it for 1 hr. It started to get dry at the min cooking time. The sauce was very good.