Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I was going to make stuffed mushrooms for a party and needed a recipe that was lactose and seafood free so I came up with these. They always disappear quickly. I also make this as a dinner using 4-6 large mushrooms and baking them for 25 - 30 minutes. Note: you can mince a small shallot instead of the scallion. Just sauté it with the other vegetables.
- 1⁄2 lb button mushroom
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon finely diced red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely diced celery
- 1 scallion, green part only
- 2 slices shortcut bacon, chopped
- Clean and stem mushrooms.
- Chop 5 or 6 stems and sauté stems, bell pepper, celery, and bacon in two tablespoons of butter until vegetables are soft.
- Add remaining butter and heat until melted.
- Remove from heat and mix in scallion and breadcrumbs. If mixture is too moist add in a little more breadcrumbs.
- Stuff mushrooms.
- Bake 10-15 minutes at 350°F.