Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is the quiche recipe that I created for RSC #11. It starts off with a homemade crust and then is filled with a delighful combination of eggs, bacon, spinach, asiago and cheddar cheeses, shallots or green onions and sun dried tomatoes.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup shortening (I like to used the butter flavored shortening)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup shredded asiago cheese
- 3⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup shallots or 1⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1⁄4 cup sun-dried tomato, chopped
- For the crust: Mix flour, shortening and salt together with a fork until crumbly. Add water a little at a time until the dough holds together. Mix lightly with fork. Be careful not to over mix the dough or it will come out tough instead of flaky.
- Place ball of dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll out to fit a 9" pie pan. Loosely roll the dough onto your rolling pin and place dough in pie pan. Push dough into the pie pan and trim off any excess dough. Finish edges with a fork or by crimping the edges with your fingers.
- For the filling: In a large bowl whisk together eggs and milk. Mix in the asiago cheese and 1/2 cup of the cheddar cheese. Add bacon, shallots, sun dried tomatoes, salt, and cayenne pepper. Squeeze out the excess liquid from the spinach and add to the egg mixture. Mix everything together until it is well blended.
- Pour into prepared pie crust shell. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup of shredded cheddar cheese. Bake at 400 degrees F for 40 minutes or until a knife inserted about 2 inches from the edge comes out clean.
Absolute 5 star quiche ! I put the filling into a phyllo pastry case as I had phyllo in the fridge. My spinach was fresh and my cheese was cheddar. We all loved it so much.
I was expecting amazing things from this quiche, but holy smokes it was basically like eating a package of bacon! I may try the base of this again but will make my own alterations to suit our tastes. Thanks for posting it though, others seem to have really enjoyed it! :)
This belongs in a cookbook, it's SO good! I used a storebought crust (I'm lazy), but the filling was outstanding. The only changes I made was using a Mexican 4-cheese blend instead of Cheddar (all I had on hand) and an 1/8 of tsp cayenne instead of 1/2 tsp. For the bacon, I used Recipe #208501, which made prep even easier. I will definitely be making this again. Thanks for a keeper!