Recipe by I'mPat
From Recipe+, can also be made into 12 individual muffins, bake at 200C (180C fan forced) for about 20 minutes.
Top Review by Ginger from FL
I converted the metric to US measures:
8 ounces bacon
5 ounces fresh spinach (try 7 oz package)
4 ounces of crumbled feta
And instead of self-rising flour use 1 1/2 cup flour with 3 tsp of baking powder
I agree with other reviews, except I didn't put feta on top, just bacon.
To make muffins, put in 350 degree oven for 20 minutes
- 250 g bacon (middle cut rashers)
- 1 brown onion (medium finely chopped)
- 150 g spinach (baby leaves)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1⁄2 cups self-raising flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil (or extra light olive oil)
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 1 cup milk
- 100 g feta cheese (crumbled)
- 50 g feta cheese (extra)
- butter (to serve)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180C (160C fan forced).
- Grease a 21cm x 10cm (base measurement) loaf pan.
- Remove rind and most of the at from bacon and chop.
- Add bacon and onion to a medium non-stick frying pan; cook and stir for 5 minutes or until bacon is crisp and onion is soft.
- Remove from pan reserving a 1/4 of the bacon mixture.
- Add spinach and oregano to pan; cook and stir until just wilted and remove from pan and cool slightly.
- Sift flour and salt into a large bowl and make a well at the centre and add oil, egg and milk and stir until just combined (don't overmix or you will toughen the mix).
- Gently fold in spinach mixture and feta until just combined.
- Spoon mixture into prepared pan and top with reserved bacon mixture and extra feta.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted at centre comes out clean.
- Stand pan for 5 minutes and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool slightly and then serve with butter.