Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
From Recipe+, can also be made into 12 individual muffins, bake at 200C (180C fan forced) for about 20 minutes.
- 250 g bacon (middle cut rashers)
- 1 brown onion (medium finely chopped)
- 150 g spinach (baby leaves)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1⁄2 cups self-raising flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil (or extra light olive oil)
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 1 cup milk
- 100 g feta cheese (crumbled)
- 50 g feta cheese (extra)
- butter (to serve)
- Preheat oven to 180C (160C fan forced).
- Grease a 21cm x 10cm (base measurement) loaf pan.
- Remove rind and most of the at from bacon and chop.
- Add bacon and onion to a medium non-stick frying pan; cook and stir for 5 minutes or until bacon is crisp and onion is soft.
- Remove from pan reserving a 1/4 of the bacon mixture.
- Add spinach and oregano to pan; cook and stir until just wilted and remove from pan and cool slightly.
- Sift flour and salt into a large bowl and make a well at the centre and add oil, egg and milk and stir until just combined (don't overmix or you will toughen the mix).
- Gently fold in spinach mixture and feta until just combined.
- Spoon mixture into prepared pan and top with reserved bacon mixture and extra feta.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted at centre comes out clean.
- Stand pan for 5 minutes and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool slightly and then serve with butter.
I converted the metric to US measures:
8 ounces bacon
5 ounces fresh spinach (try 7 oz package)
4 ounces of crumbled feta
And instead of self-rising flour use 1 1/2 cup flour with 3 tsp of baking powder
I agree with other reviews, except I didn't put feta on top, just bacon.
To make muffins, put in 350 degree oven for 20 minutes
Pat, these are a real winner. Made a nice 12 muffins and they're all gone, DH just confessed to me that he meant to eat just one but ate the last three, lol! Even my youngest DD, who is not an adventurous eater, really liked these. Since they're very easily prepared, I'll be making them again very soon, a marvellous savoury snack or quick breakfast! Thank you, lovely recipe, made for Make My recipe, Aus/NZ tag game.