Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is my dad's famous spaghetti recipe that uses bacon instead of ground beef. It has a sweet flavor to it and is very different from the usual spaghetti sauce. You have to try it!
- 1 chopped sweet onion (Vidalia)
- 1 lb uncooked bacon
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes (drained)
- 1 (10 ounce) jarragu spaghetti sauce (use whatever flavor suites you)
- 1 (3 7/8 ounce) can mushrooms (drained)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Chop bacon strips into about 1 inch (or smaller) pieces.
- Using a large skillet, heat the bacon on med/high until cooked but do NOT let it get crispy! (about 7 min.).
- Add the chopped onions, mushrooms and stewed tomatoes and let sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Turn heat down to low.
- Add the Ragu, brown sugar, and seasonings.
- Let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir occasionally.