Recipe by RecipeNut
This is a great simple side dish!
Top Review by doodle_s
This was great, I didn't have any shallots so I used Red Onion and it still tasted great. I also added extra chicken broth because the rice didn't seem to get completely finished. Adding the additional liquid made it more like a risotto. This was a great recipe and I will make this again
- 2 pieces thick-sliced bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1⁄4 cup orzo pasta
- 1⁄4 cup chopped shallot
- 1⁄2 cup long-grain rice
- 1⁄2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook bacon in medium saucepan over medium-high heat until browned, turning frequently; transfer bacon with slotted spoon to paper towels to drain and set aside.
- Add orzo to saucepan, and cook and stir 3 to 4 minutes. Add shallots, and cook and stir until shallots are tender and orzo is golden, 3 to 4 minutes longer.
- Add rice, stirring to coat with fat. Add broth, water and salt. Bring to boil, cover, reduce to simmer, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 15 to 18 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes. Sprinkle reserved bacon on top. Serve hot.