Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a recipe that I saw in my recent TOH Magazine and posting here for safe keeping. The author of the recipe stated "I grew up with this very popular Bacon Scone recipe in Scotland. It pairs great with a salad."
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped (I would use green onion as other have)
- 1⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 bacon, strips cooked and crumbled, divided
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk eggs and milk. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the onion, cheese and two-thirds of the bacon.
- Transfer dough to a greased baking sheet. Pat into a 7-1/2-in. circle. Cut into eight wedges, but do not separate. Sprinkle with remaining bacon. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Took a lot longer than 15 mins to prepare but turned out great! My baconator husband liked them too!
Wow, my friend, wow. These scones are too die for. So good, great texture and amazing flavor. I made these exactly as written and wouldn't change a thing. I made half the batch and turned them into two large size buns. Which I then served as a base for Sloppy Joes' for a truly decadent treat. The biscuits were perfect, crisp on the outside and tender on the inside just the way I love them. What a great flavor, love the addition of the savory items in this recipe. You could taste the bacon, cheese and onion in every bite. Thank you for sharing this very special recipe that has gone into my Favorites Cookbook for 2014. Kudos to you, I can't wait to make these again. Made for Best of 2013.
Nothing short of scrumptious. I used some lightly sauteed onion and added all of the bacon into the scones because I was concerned it getting to hard sitting up there on top. I made 4 scones (1/2 the recipe) and DH and myself made all 4 vanish. Thanks much for a marvelous brunch scone they were perfect with your Country Scrambled Eggs this morning.