Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
The Biltmore Estate Asheville, North Carolina
- 1 lb bacon, cut into julienne strips
- 2 1⁄2 cups diced celery
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3⁄4 cup vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salad herb seasoning mix
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon browning sauce, such as kitchen Bouquet
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, brown the bacon and cook until crisp.
- Drain off two-thirds of the fat. Add the celery and onions to the bacon and sauté until lightly browned, approximately 9 minutes.
- Add the vinegar and cook, uncovered, until the mixture has been reduced by half, about 3 minutes. While cooking, stir in the Dijon mustard and seasonings.
- When the mixture has been reduced by half, add the sugar and cook until dissolved. Stir in the brownings and seasoning sauce.
- Slowly pour in the cornstarch mixture, stirring until the dressing is thickened.
- Cool, then transfer to a storage container and refrigerate.
- To serve, dip out the amount of dressing you need (allow 2 tablespoon per person) and reheat the dressing in the microwave until it is very hot but not boiling.
- Drizzle over the greens, toss and serve.
- It keeps indefinitely in the refrigerator.