this recipe was born on a really cold winter morning. all we had to work with were the dwindling items in the fridge and no desire to brave the elements and go out. this was what we came up with! the quantities that i have listed are approximations; adjust to your taste and play around with the ingredients! almost anything you have on hand is going to be great!
- add the olive oil and 1/2 of the butter to a warm, oven-proof skillet.
- just melt the butter preheat oven to 350 degrees (my oven cooks very hot, if yours does not i would go to 375.) fry the bacon until crispy.
- do not drain the skillet (the turkey bacon that we get renders very little fat.) remove the bacon and drain on paper towels.
- in a seperate bowl combine the eggs and half and half and beat well.
- add the rosemary, salt and pepper.
- add the last 1/2 tablespoon of butter to the skillet and just melt.
- add the eggs.
- cook over medium to medium low heat, tilting skillet until the bottom is coated and just starting to cook.
- crumble the bacon over the eggs and add the cheese, reserving a bit of the cheese for later.
- cook until just setting up, about 2 minutes.
- do not stir the eggs or you will just scramble them.
- remove from burner and bake for 15 minutes, sprinkling the reserved cheese over the top at the last minute to brown.
Great breakfast. Not too filling. I used parmesan but will try it with Fontina next time I can afford it! :) I cut the "baking" time down to about 10 minutes. Made for Fall 2008 PAC.