Recipe by MarthaStewartWanabe
This is not a healthy dish by any means, but it is delicious. The chicken breasts turn out juicy and tender and are topped with a layer each of bacon and melted, browned smoked gouda. Yummm!
Top Review by sdnespoli
Great flavors. I deglazed with 2 tablespoons of butter first then added approx 1/4 cup of white wine and reduce. Then I coated the chicken on both sides with the juices and continued as the recipie stated. This is a definate keeper.
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, pounded to 1/2-inch thickness
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 8 ounces smoked gouda cheese, sliced thick
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In an oven-safe skillet (NOT cast iron), cook bacon over medium heat or until crispy and fat-rendered. Set bacon slices aside on a paper towel to drain. Once cooled, crumble and set aside. Do not drain bacon fat from skillet.
- While bacon is cooking, season chicken breasts on both sides with thyme, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Then dust both wides of each breast with 1 tbs. flour each.
- Bring skillet to medium-high heat. Lightly brown both sides of chicken breasts for approximately five minutes each side. Don't worry if they don't cook through. Remove breasts to a clean plate, cover and set aside.
- Remove skillet from heat and deglaze with white wine. Remove from heat.
- Return breasts to skillet, arrange crumbled bacon evenly over both and arrange gouda slices atop bacon layer.
- Roast in oven for 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through, and cheese has melted and begun to brown.