Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Rachael Ray's Magazine
- 1 1⁄2 cups basmati rice
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb Canadian bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 pint grape tomatoes (or cherry tomatoes)
- 1 (15 ounce) can lentils, rinsed
- 1 cucumber, peeled in stripes (seeded and cut crosswise 1/2-inch thick)
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- salt and pepper
- Lightly grease a baking sheet. In a large saucepan, bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil over high heat. Stir in the rice and 1 tablespoon of the oil, cover, and cook over medium-low heat, undisturbed, for 30 minutes. Fluff with a fork, spread out on the baking sheet, and refrigerate.
- While rice cooks, heat 1 tablspoon oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Add bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add tomatoes to the skillet and cook, shaking the pan occasionally, until slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Add tomatoes to the bacon in the bowl.
- Add the cooked rice, lentils, cucumber, scallions, parsley, lemon zest, lemon juice, and the remaining 2 tablespoons oil to the bacon and tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper; toss to combine.