Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is worth the time to make and 100% better than any canned! --- turkey bacon may be replaced with the regular bacon -- double or triple amount and freeze, this freezes very well and is worth having ready for recipes, if desired mix in some fresh cilantro to the bean mixture before using, to take this to a whole new level add in about 2 tablespoons taco seasoning mix at the end of cooking :)
- 4 slices uncooked bacon, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced seeded jalapeno pepper (or use half of a jalapeno pepper, or to taste)
- 1 -2 tablespoon oil (if needed)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans (do NOT drain)
- 1 cup canned chicken broth (more if needed)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons seasoning salt (or use 1 teaspoon white salt or to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- In a heavy saucepan, cook the chopped bacon until almost crisp; remove to a plate (do not drain fat).
- To the same saucepan add in the onion, garlic, 1 teaspoon sugar and jalapeno peppers; cook stirring until transparent (about 3 minutes).
- Reduce the heat to low and continue to cook until the onions have caramalized and are a deep brown (this should take about 25 minutes, add in a little more oil if needed).
- Add the cooked bacon back to the saucepan along with the undrained black beans; roughly mash using a potato masher.
- Add in 1 cup broth and bring to a simmer stirring.
- Simmer uncovered over low heat for 1 hour stirring occasionally adding in more broth if needed to achieve desired consistancy.
- Season with the seasoned salt (or white salt) and black pepper to taste.
I am usually wary of trying unrated recipes, but this one was really good. My husband loved it as it provided a unique (and spicy) taste to black beans. Great recipe!