Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Remember the Betty Crocker Suddenly Salad? This is close... but better. Careful, though - its pretty addictive! This recipe and many others can be found at the www.recipe4living.com website.
- 2 cups pasta (uncooked shells)
- 5 baby carrots, shredded (or 1 large regular carrot)
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise, more if desired but NOT miracle whip
- 1 ounce hidden valley ranch dressing mix (or 1/2 of a .4 oz. package of the buttermilk version)
- 1⁄4 cup bacon bits (I use Hormel REAL bacon bits or pieces)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- In large bowl, mix mayo, dressing mix, bacon bits, shredded carrots and onion powder. Chill this mixture while you continue making the rest of the salad.
- Cook pasta al dente, drain and cool. Fold in pasta carefully.
- Gently fold in peas last.
- Chill for several hours and serve chilled or at room temperature.
- Refresh salad if needed with a tiny bit of mayo, but it usually doesn't need it.
- Garnish top with more bacon bits pieces. You can never have too much bacon.
Quick, easy, and yummy! I added a spoonful of sour cream with the mayo and a can of cooked chicken breast chunks, to make it a little more hearty. I was thinking sliced olives and green onions or chives might be a good addition, too.
I was looking for a homemade Suddenly Salad type and this was it. I didn't have any packets of ranch mix but had a big jar of the same thing that I bought from Sam's. I used 1 and 1/2 Tbs. of the mix. I'm guessing it would be about 1/2 of what would be in a packet. I also didn't have any carrots to shred but I did have frozen peas and carots mixed together so I used that. I cooked the peas and carrots in with the pasta. I thought it was very good.
This was good and easy to make but this ended up a bit salty for us. I added more mayo and then we liked it better. I followed the recipe as written other then I didn't add the peas. This was a nice, different salad. We all enjoyed this.