Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Try something different with a bacon & pumpkin pasta. Making it vegetarian or greener: Fry halved mushrooms with the onion instead of pancetta. Or add a couple of handfuls of baby spinach before adding the parmesan.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 ounces bacon, cut into cubes
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 lb pumpkin or 1 lb butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and diced
- 1 ounce fresh sage, finely shredded
- 14 ounces penne (or another short pasta shape)
- 1 ounce parmesan cheese, grated, plus extra to serve
- salt and pepper
- Heat a heavy-based saucepan, add 1/2 tbsp olive oil and bacon, then cook for a few minutes Add remaining oil and the onion. Cook for 5 mins, until the onion softens and the bacon is crispy.
- Stir in the butter, then tip in the pumpkin or squash and sage. Mix well to combine, then season.
- Cover and cook for 10-12 mins, stirring occasionally until the pumpkin is soft, but not falling apart.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to pack instructions. Drain and add to the pumpkin mixture.
- Stir in the parmesan and season. Serve in pasta bowls sprinkled with extra parmesan.