Recipe by ElizabethKnicely
Laura Full-Sutton from Buhl, Idaho says, "I like to garnish these great waffles with sour cream and chives, or even a simple cheese sauce. My mother used to sprinkle them with a touch of sugar." From Taste of Home's Good Food for Kids! Cookbook.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups mashed potatoes (with added milk and butter)
- 1 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 5 tablespoons canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 bacon, strips cooked and crumbled
- maple syrup or chunky applesauce
- additional crumbled cooked bacon (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, mashed potatoes, milk and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in onion and bacon.
- Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions until golden. Serve with syrup or applesauce. Sprinkle with additional bacon if desired.