Recipe by Montana Heart Song
This can be made the night before, refrigerated and cooked the next day.Quick, easy and delicious. Serve with hot biscuits. You can use precooked bacon pieces or turkey bacon or small pieces of ham! NOTE: i HAVE CHANGED THE AMOUNT OF MAYO (IT WAS A MISTAKE WHEN I FIRST PUBLISHED)
Top Review by Peggy loves Dessert
This LOOKED like a no-fail recipe, and even eating it, we kept saying "This wants to be good. It really does" but it missed the mark. We're thinking if we add 6 eggs, delete 1 cup of mayo and sprinkle with cheese it will be amazing. The inch-deep pool of grease that baked down into the bottom of the pan was gross to look at, but to be expected based on mayo/butter content level.
- 6 -8 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut in chunks
- 4 large carrots, grated
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pimiento or 1⁄4 cup valasic sliced roasted red pepper, chopped
- 10 slices bacon or 1 cup cooked bacon
- white onion, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon Bon Appetit seasoning mix
- 1⁄2 teaspoon yellow mustard (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In large pot, put potato chunks in 2 qts of water and bring to boil, cover and cook about 10 minutes. Drain.
- In frying pan, cook bacon until slightly crisp. Take out of pan to cool.
- Note: Add 2 tblsp vegetable oil to pan if you are using precooked bacon and you need oil to fry onions.
- Add diced onions and boiled potatoes, cook until slightly browned.
- Use 1 tblsp of oil or bacon grease to coat a 4 qt casserole dish.
- Add onions and potatoes.
- Cut cooked bacon into pieces.
- Preheat oven 350*.
- In mixing bowl, add bacon, grated carrots.
- pimentos, mayonnaise, margarine, sour cream, celery seed, bonapetite seasoning, yellow mustard, salt and pepper.Mix well.
- Note: Delete 1/2 tsp salt if using bonapetite seasoning, that has salt, pepper and garlic. If you don't have that seasoning, use 1 clove crushed garlic or 1 tsp minced fresh garlic in a jar, the salt and white pepper.
- Caution: Use mustard only if you love the flavor of mustard because it will really flavor when combined with the mayonnaise.
- Pour over potatoes and onions.
- Cover the casserole.Cook one hour.If refrigerated allow an extra 10 minutes cooking time.
- After cooking let set 10 minutes.
- Addition: Serve a bowl of grated cheese on the side to sprinkle on top of each serving if desired.