1/1 Photo of Bacon, Potato, Carrot, Onion Casserole
1 hr 20 mins
Montana Heart Song's Note:
This can be made the night before, refrigerated and cooked the next day.Quick, easy and delicious. Serve with hot biscuits. You can use precooked bacon pieces or turkey bacon or small pieces of ham! NOTE: i HAVE CHANGED THE AMOUNT OF MAYO (IT WAS A MISTAKE WHEN I FIRST PUBLISHED)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 -8 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut in chunks
- 4 large carrots, grated
- 1/4 cup chopped pimiento or 1/4 cup valasic sliced roasted red pepper, chopped
- 10 slices bacon or 1 cup cooked bacon
- white onion, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon Bon Appetit seasoning mix
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1In large pot, put potato chunks in 2 qts of water and bring to boil, cover and cook about 10 minutes. Drain.
- 2In frying pan, cook bacon until slightly crisp. Take out of pan to cool.
- 3Note: Add 2 tblsp vegetable oil to pan if you are using precooked bacon and you need oil to fry onions.
- 4Add diced onions and boiled potatoes, cook until slightly browned.
- 5Use 1 tblsp of oil or bacon grease to coat a 4 qt casserole dish.
- 6Add onions and potatoes.
- 7Cut cooked bacon into pieces.
- 8Preheat oven 350*.
- 9In mixing bowl, add bacon, grated carrots.
- 10pimentos, mayonnaise, margarine, sour cream, celery seed, bonapetite seasoning, yellow mustard, salt and pepper.Mix well.
- 11Note: Delete 1/2 tsp salt if using bonapetite seasoning, that has salt, pepper and garlic. If you don't have that seasoning, use 1 clove crushed garlic or 1 tsp minced fresh garlic in a jar, the salt and white pepper.
- 12Caution: Use mustard only if you love the flavor of mustard because it will really flavor when combined with the mayonnaise.
- 13Pour over potatoes and onions.
- 14Cover the casserole.Cook one hour.If refrigerated allow an extra 10 minutes cooking time.
- 15After cooking let set 10 minutes.
- 16Addition: Serve a bowl of grated cheese on the side to sprinkle on top of each serving if desired.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bacon, Potato, Carrot, Onion Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (279 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 397.0
- Calories from Fat 152
- Total Fat 16.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 14.3 mg
- Sodium 506.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.1 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 7.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Bon Appetit seasoning mix