Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
5-Ingredient Fix Contest Entry. I like this recipe for many reasons I love the flavors of potato skins but not the huge fat and calorie content, this is a better alternative. It is also versatile because you can use whatever type of cheese you like and even add vegetables if you like. Another great option is to make smaller bowls and use as an appetizer. Very easy to make!!!!
- 1 (24 ounce) bag Simply Potatoes Traditional Mashed Potatoes
- 12 slices bacon, each bacon piece cut in half (I use regular sliced hickory smoked)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup light sour cream or 1⁄4 cup regular sour cream
- 3 tablespoons chopped green onions, green parts only
- Cover the bottom of a muffin pan with tin foil.
- Take 4(1/2 slice) pieces of bacon and weave them together ( like a basket).
- Lay across the bottom foil covered muffin tin to make a bowl shape press tightly to foil.
- Repeat this process for the other five.
- Bake in a preheated 350 oven about 20 minutes or until bacon is crispy ( may vary with ovens and thickness of bacon.).
- Meanwhile prepare Simply Potatoes traditional mashed potatoes according to package directions. When fully cooked stir in 1/4cup shredded cheddar cheese.
- When bacon is crispy remove and set aside to cool slightly about 3 minutes.
- Next take the bacon bowls and turn them over and place on a lined cookie sheet (no mess).
- Fill the bacon cups with the potato mixture.
- Top each one with remaining cheddar cheese.
- Return to oven for 5 minutes or until cheese is nicely melted and warm.
- top each potato bowl with a dollop of sour cream and chopped green onions.