Prep 8 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is the culmination of cheap, unhealthy snackfood research. I'm sure someone somewhere has done this. But I'm taking credit.
- 1⁄2 cup unpopped popcorn
- 5 tablespoons melted bacon grease
- 1⁄8 cup melted butter
- 1 tablespoon table salt
- 5 tablespoons crushed imitation bacon bits
- Set medium sized pot on burner set to medium-high.
- Pour in bacon grease allowing to heat for 5 minutes.
- While waiting, powder artificial bacon using mortar and pestle or other food processor.
- Stir salt into powdered bacon bits.
- Turn down heat to medium, add unpopped popcorn and cover.
- Melt butter in microwave or separate pan.
- Allow popcorn to pop, shaking from time to time.
- When popcorn has finished popping, remove from heat, uncovering after one minute.
- Slowly pour butter over popcorn, shaking and fluffing every so often for even distribution.
- In pinches, sprinkle bacon and salt mixture over popcorn, shaking and fluffing every so often for even distribution.
- Cool slightly if desired, serve at your own risk.
This came out good. I used real bacon bits, less salt, and omitted the bacon grease (personal preference).
Childhood memories!! My parents use to make popcorn this way also with one exception they did not put on the extra butter or bacon bits. My husbands parents also used the bacon grease. It really adds a lot of flavor to the popcorn. William, I can just imagine how much more tasty the butter and bacon bits add.