Prep 1 hr
Cook 40 mins
Got this from Cuisine at Home. Looks GREAT!!
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 6 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 3 cups fresh spinach, stemmed
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 3⁄4 cup plain yogurt, plus
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 12 slices French bread, 1/4 inch thick (dryed)
- 6 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup swiss cheese, shredded
- Prepare ramekins by buttering and then dusting with the bread crumbs.
- For pesto, saute bacon; remove.
- Then wilt spinach in 1 T bacon fat.
- Process bacon, spinach, parsley and yogurt until paste forms.
- Beat together eggs, yogurt, milk, and cayenne pepper in a large bowl until blended.
- The mixture will be about as thich as heavy cream.
- Set aside.
- Before drying bread, be sure to cut it to fit ramekins (to dry, cut with cookie cutter, making sure it fits inside the ramekins, line a baking sheet with a rack and toast the breat at 375 degrees for 10-15 minutes, until dry).
- Small baguettes work well too.
- Spread 1 T pesto on one side of each slice of dry bread.
- Place one slice bread in ramekin, pesto side up, and sprinkle with 1 T cheese.
- Add 1/4 cup egg mixture to cover bread.
- Layer again with bread, cheese, and egg.
- For the third layer, place bread pesto side down and top with 1/4 cup egg.
- Place ramekins on baking sheet; weight down bread and let soak for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Remove weights and bake 30-40 minutes, until brown and puffed.
- Cool 5 minutes.
- Remove from ramekins.