1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This is a good crust for savory tarts or quiches that call for a par-baked crust. I adapted this for the food processor from a recipe in Sara Moulton Cooks at Home.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cook the bacon in a small skillet over medium heat until crisp and colored. Drain on paper towels until cooled.
- 2In the work bowl of a food processor, combine the flour, salt, and bacon. Process to combine.
- 3Add the butter and shortening, and combine using short on/off pulses, until the mixture is roughly the texture of coarse cornmeal.
- 4Add the water in pulses, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- 5Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, form into a ball, and lightly knead a few times by hand. Flatten into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill for 1 hour.
- 6Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- 7Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface into a 1/8-inch thick circle, and press into a 9 inch tart pan.
- 8Line the shell with foil, and fill with pie weights (I just use rice). Bake for 20 minutes.
- 9Remove the foil and bake for 10 minutes more, until light golden.
- 10Use in any recipe calling for a par baked crust.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bacon Pastry Crust
Serving Size: 1 (73 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 320.8
- Calories from Fat 220
- Total Fat 24.5 g
- Saturated Fat 11.4 g
- Cholesterol 43.3 mg
- Sodium 256.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 5.0 g