Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a good crust for savory tarts or quiches that call for a par-baked crust. I adapted this for the food processor from a recipe in Sara Moulton Cooks at Home.
- Cook the bacon in a small skillet over medium heat until crisp and colored. Drain on paper towels until cooled.
- In the work bowl of a food processor, combine the flour, salt, and bacon. Process to combine.
- Add the butter and shortening, and combine using short on/off pulses, until the mixture is roughly the texture of coarse cornmeal.
- Add the water in pulses, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, form into a ball, and lightly knead a few times by hand. Flatten into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface into a 1/8-inch thick circle, and press into a 9 inch tart pan.
- Line the shell with foil, and fill with pie weights (I just use rice). Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for 10 minutes more, until light golden.
- Use in any recipe calling for a par baked crust.