Recipe by swissms
Food Network, $40 a Day - Jackson Hole, WY; recipe courtesy Roger Freedman. Side note: In Switzerland it is common to add Raclette or Gruyere cheese to this dish (referred to as Alpine Macaroni).
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 lb smoked bacon, diced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- chopped fresh parsley leaves, for garnish
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, salt, and nutmeg. In a separate bowl, combine the eggs and milk. Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until smooth; let stand for 30 minutes. Press the batter through a sieve into boiling salted water. Cook about 1 minute. Drop cooked spaetzle into ice water. Drain spaetzle and set aside.
- In a skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until golden, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add onions and cook until soft, about 4 to 5 minutes. In a separate skillet, saute the cooked spaetzle in the oil until golden. Add the bacon mixture, season as needed with salt and pepper, and garnish with chopped fresh parsley.