Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe is something I created the other night for some friends and they loved it. It is probably your "Doctor's Worst Nightmare" kind of recipe, but try it and indulge yourself now and again.
- Cut bacon slices into 4 pieces and cook over medium heat in a large sauce pan. You may have to do this in 2 batches.
- Cook bacon until a golden brown, but NOT crispy. You do not want any burnt edges.
- Remove bacon and place on paper towels to absorb fat.
- Add roughly diced onions and cook on medium heat until translucent.
- Add your garlic and continue cooking until onions appear to start turning golden brown.
- Strain mixture with a sieve over a bowl, as you want to reverse the bacon fat.
- Put mixture back into pan and add a half of the diced tomatoes.
- Cook, toss and turn for about 5 minutes.
- Return bacon and bacon fat back into mixture and heat through.
- Pour over your favourite pasta and sprinkle with cheese and fresh basil leaves.