Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
Savory quick bread flavored with bacon and onions. Delicious and unusual for sandwiches to go with soup or toast to go with omelets. The quality of the bacon will make a difference in the taste, so it's worth the extra cost for the good stuff. Plain nonfat yogurt can be used in place of the cottage cheese or sour cream to lower the calories.
- 6 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons reserved bacon grease
- 1 small onion, peeled & finely chopped
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup small curd cottage cheese or 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted (1/2 stick)
- Adjust oven rack to top third position, and pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Coat 9"x5"x3" loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a skillet, cook the bacon just until crisp.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain; then coarsely dice.
- Discard all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease.
- Add onion, and saute over medium-low heat until tranlucent (2-3 minutes).
- In a large bowl, thoroughly mix the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper.
- Blend together the eggs, cottage cheese, and butter until smooth; then stir in the bacon and onion.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and mix together just until combined (Do NOT over mix).
- Spoon batter into the prepared loaf pan, smoothing it on top.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for 50 minutes or until tester comes out clean when inserted.
- Turn out onto a wire rack to cool before slicing.