1 hr 5 mins
A delicious appetizer and light bite. Original comes from epicurious - the onions really shine here so I've tweaked the recipe to double the amount. For fantastic presentation, use a rectangular tart pan and cut into small squares.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons chilled vegetable shortening, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons ice water (more if needed)
- 1For crust:.
- 2Blend flour and salt in processor. Add butter and shortening; using on/off turns, cut in until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add 2 tablespoons ice water and process until moist clumps form, adding more ice water by teaspoonfuls if dough is dry. Gather dough into ball; flatten into disk. Wrap in plastic and chill at least 1 hour.
- 3Preheat oven to 400°F Roll out dough on lightly floured work surface to 11-inch round. Transfer to 9-inch tart pan with removable bottom. Press dough onto bottom and up sides of pan. Pierce crust all over with fork. Freeze 10 minutes. Line crust with foil; fill with dried beans or pie weights. Bake crust 10 minutes. Remove foil and beans. Bake until crust is set and partially cooked through, about 15 minutes longer. Cool crust while making filling. Maintain oven temperature.
- 4For filling:.
- 5Sauté bacon in medium skillet over medium heat until crisp, about 4 minutes. Transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Add onion and pinch of sugar to drippings in skillet and sauté until onion is deep golden brown, about 20 minutes. Whisk cream, egg, egg yolk, pepper, salt, and nutmeg in small bowl to blend. Spread onion over bottom of baked crust; sprinkle bacon over, then cheese. Pour cream mixture over.
- 6Bake until tart is puffed and filling is set, about 25 minutes. Cool tart on rack 10 minutes. Remove pan sides. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bacon, Onion and Gruyere Tart
Serving Size: 1 (115 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 450.0
- Calories from Fat 328
- Total Fat 36.4 g
- Saturated Fat 19.2 g
- Cholesterol 162.5 mg
- Sodium 278.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 9.0 g