Recipe by Cynna
This very rich and creamy. A nice and cozy casserole to sit down and eat with the family. We like to have a salad and garlic bread with this. Sooooo good it warms your heart and soul.
Top Review by Karen
Cynna, this recipe redeemed me in my household. As a newlywed, I am trying new things and this was by far, the most favorite pasta bake I have made for my husband. I used onions instead of shallots and rigatoni as that is what I had on hand. Morels are not in season here in MN so I used baby portabellas. As my new hubby says...This is a definate re-do!! Thank you.
- 8 ounces radiatore, uncooked
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup shallot, sliced
- 8 ounces shiitake mushroom caps, sliced
- 4 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 4 ounces morels, chopped
- 2 ounces bacon
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup asiago cheese, grated (divided)
- cooking spray
- fresh thyme sprig (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- reheat oven to 375°.
- Cook pasta according to the package directions, omitting salt and fat.
- Drain well. Set cooked pasta aside.
- Cook bacon and set aside to cool.
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add shallots; sauté 3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, 1 tablespoon thyme, salt, pepper, and garlic; sauté 8 minutes or until mushrooms are tender.
- Add sherry; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat.
- Place flour in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat; gradually add milk, stirring constantly with a whisk.
- Bring mixture to a boil; cook 1 minute or until slightly thick, stirring constantly with a whisk.
- Remove from heat; add 1/2 cup cheese, stirring until melted.
- Add pasta and mushroom mixture to cheese mixture, crumble in the bacon, tossing well to combine.
- Spoon pasta mixture into an 8-inch square baking dish lightly coated with cooking spray; sprinkle evenly with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until cheese melts and begins to brown.
- Garnish with thyme sprigs, if desired.