Prep 35 mins
Cook 1 hr
This casserole may be made with regular white rice, but it is much better using converted rice, as regular rice tends to get too soft when baking, when boiling the rice try not to over cook it (see note on bottom of page). Prep time includes boiling the rice and fying veggies. This is a very tasty rice dish!
- 6 -10 slices bacon (can use more or less bacon)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (to taste)
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) can mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese (can use more)
- milk (use half of the can of the mushroom soup)
- 2 cups cooked converted white rice (I use Uncle Ben's converted rice for this)
- 1 -2 cup canned mushroom slices, drained
- salt and pepper
- Set oven to 325 degrees.
- Butter a casserole dish.
- Cook the rice, and set aside.
- In a frypan cook bacon until crisp; drain the bacon fat if desired, or just leave in frypan to fry the veggies (you might still have to add in some butter for frying) remove and chop bacon into large pieces and set aside.
- Add in 1/4 cup butter, and saute onion, garlic, celery and green pepper for about 4-5 minutes or until soft.
- Transfer the cooked bacon and sauteed veggies to a large bowl; add in the cooked rice and all remaining ingredients; mix well to combine, adjusting salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a greased casserole dish.
- Bake (covered or uncovered) for about 30-40 minutes.
- **NOTE** if desired sprinkle grated cheddar cheese over the casserole the last 20 minutes of baking.
- Also, for perfrect converted rice, boil 1-3/4 cups water with 1 cup rice and 2 tablespoons butter (double the water, rice and butter if desired) this will give you a not too soft rice, perfect for this or any recipe.
We made this tonight but not sure if our variety of ingredients just didn't work for dh and the kids. I would have to try to make it again.
I used fresh mushrooms as the other reviewer suggested. This was a "delish" (my boyfriend declared) recipe. Kitten, you come up with unique and tasty combinations. You truly have a talent. I can't wait for my friends and coworkers to try this (as I doubled the recipe knowing that a Kittencal recipe is a sure winner). Again, I will owe the credit for my cooking to you!
Yummy, Yummy!! I was ready to eat it without doing the baking part. I love the bacon flavor to the rice. I think the only thing different I would do next time is to use fresh mushrooms. Thank you Kittencal for another great recipe!!