Recipe by JinxTheCat
This is a recipe to die for, quick to prepare, quick to make and can be done in large numbers. It is an ideal for breakfast, lunch or evening meal and looks special enough to serve to guests too. Low in saturated fat, this is ideal for anyone on a weight watchers or calorie controlled diet. Inspired by a lunch I had in an Italian Bistro, with the additon of Bacon.
- 2 slices bread (Any can be used, but granary or seeded is lovely)
- 1 teaspoon preferred pesto sauce
- 1 portabella mushroom
- 4 bacon, rashers fat removed
- 4 thin slices cheese (Mozzarella)
- olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Drizzle a reasonable amount of Olive Oil onto a baking tray and place the mushroom(s) on the tray, cap down, drizzle a little oil onto the mushroom.
- Bake in the oven, on 400, for 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, Fry the bacon in olive oil and add any favourite herbs or seasoning.
- Remove the portabella mushroom(s) from the oven and top with bacon and cheese. Alternate each so that you would put one slice of cheese, then one slice of bacon, then cheese, bacon, cheese, bacon etc.
- Put the bacon and cheese topped mushroom(s) back into the oven.
- Cut out 2 circles, around the same size as the mushroom(s) from the bread - a pint glass or large cookie cutter will do nicely. Toast the bread rounds until golden, remove, spread with pesto (to taste) and put on top of each other.
- Remove the mushroom(s) from the oven again and place on top of the toasted croutons and pesto.
- Serve & Enjoy.