Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This has been a family favourite for over 40 years. I got it from a Family Circle magazine. You get 2 meals from the one recipe. See Meatball - Bean Ragout.
- 1 kg minced beef
- 125 g bacon bits
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium cooking apple, peeled and grated
- 3 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup non-fat powdered milk
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- Place all the ingredients into a large mixing bowl and mix well (I use my hands, it makes it much easier).
- Press 3/4 of the mixture into a 20 x 10 x 5cm loaf tin (8 x 4 x 2 inch).
- Shape remaining mixture into 8 balls, put on a tray, open freeze then place in a freezer bag and seal (use for Recipe #236866).
- Invert loaf tin onto an oven tray, bake in a moderate oven (180°C) for 20 minutes.
- Lift off the tin and continue baking for a further 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and brush with glaze.
- Bake another 10 minutes.
- Leave 5 minutes before slicing.
- Glaze:- Combine 1/4 cup tomato sauce. 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce and 1 tablespoon sugar.