Recipe by wervwera
Six different kinds of cheeses, a pound of bacon, gooey deliciousness... It doesn't get much better than this. I stumbled upon this combination one night in college; rummaging through the refrigerator and cupboards to find something to cook, I found out that I had an ungodly amount of cheese, so I threw it all in et voila, the greatest mac 'n cheese I've ever tasted.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
I admit I made several adjustments to the ingredient amounts, but there was just way to much bacon & cheese in this for us! I reduced the cheese amounts by half & did the same with the bacon, & we still had a nice tasting mac & cheese! We did enjoy the great combo of cheese flavors in this dish! [Made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in this Spring's Pick A Chef event]
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup onion, minced
- 1⁄2 lb bacon
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup colby cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup medium sharp cheddar, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup American cheese, cut into strips
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1 lb elbow macaroni (or rigatoni or shells, whatever you have on-hand)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a large saucepan. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent.
- Meanwhile, cut up bacon with kitchen shears into 1/2 inch strips. Fry separately until browned (or until bacon is how you like it cooked.) In another saucepan, cook pasta as per directions, without any salt.
- Add bacon with grease to your onions and stir. Whisk in flour. Add milk, still whisking, until thickened and bubbly. Fold in all of the cheese, stirring until it all melts.
- Drain your pasta thoroughly and stir it into the cheese sauce. Cook over medium heat for about three minutes, stirring. Season with pepper and salt to taste.