Recipe by CountryLady
This is a colourful & delicious side-dish OR, on a night when its too hot to turn on the oven, just add some grated Parmesan or crumbled Feta and call it dinner!
- 4 slices bacon, preferably smoky
- 1 pint grape tomatoes or 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 4 plum tomatoes or 4 roma tomatoes
- 4 yellow tomatoes or 2 large beefsteak tomatoes
- 1⁄2 red onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup pesto sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar or 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 10 cups salad greens (your choice)
- 2 hardboiled egg, peeled & quartered (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook bacon in a large frying pan, over medium-high heat.
- Turn occasionally until crispy, about 4 minutes.
- Blot off excess fat on a paper towel.
- Break into pieces.
- Slice grape or cherry tomatoes in half, plum or roma and yellow tomatoes into quarters and beefsteak tomatoes into eighths.
- Combine in a large bowl and sprinkle with salt& pepper.
- Combine 1/4 cup of the pesto with oil& vinegar in a small bowl.
- Taste, then add more pesto, if needed.
- Pour over tomatoes& toss until evenly coated.
- Just before serving, add greens and toss to mix.
- Scatter bacon and eggs (if using) over the salad.