Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Salad in a bowl, but liquid and hot.
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 3 cups hot water
- 8 slices bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄3 cup chopped celery
- 5 ripe tomatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme (whole)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 dash hot sauce
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- seasoned croutons
- Dissolve bouillon cubes in water; set aside.
- Cook bacon in a large Dutch oven until crisp; remove bacon, reserving 2 tbs.
- drippings in Dutch oven.
- Drain bacon on paper towels.
- Add onion and celery to drippings, and saute until transparent, stirring frequently; drain.
- Add bouillon, tomatoes, and next 6 ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 20-25 min.
- Add lettuce, and cook 2 min or until lettuce wilts.
- Top with bacon and croutons.
- Serve immediately.
- Yield: 5 cups.
This is nice. I did use homemade stock instead of bouillon cubes, because I am being careful of salt content. I also used fresh garlic and parsley. My bacon wasn't sliced, so I chopped it fine. My only question about this recipe is the 20 to 25 minutes simmering time. I did simmer my soup for 20 minutes on the lowest setting of my range, but quite a lot of liquid evaporated and I had to add more water. Thank you for an interesting recipe. I'll be using it again.