Crisp bacon makes this salad a real winner. I use turkey bacon with good success. Please don't try to substitute those artificial bacon bits in this recipe, it just won't work.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb bacon
- 1/2 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 4 slices French bread, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 lb romaine lettuce, rinsed,dried,and torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1Cook bacon until it is crisp by your favorite method.
- 2Crumble, and set it aside, reserving 2 tablespoons of the drippings in a small bowl.
- 3Whisk together the reserved bacon drippings, mayonnaise, vinegar and basil and let dressing sit, covered, at room temperature while you finish making the salad.
- 4In a large skillet over medium heat, toss the bread pieces with the salt and pepper.
- 5Drizzle with the oil, and cook, stirring constantly, until the croutons are crisp and golden brown.
- 6In a large salad bowl mix together the romaine, tomatoes, bacon and croutons.
- 7Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well.
- 8Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Lettuces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato Salad
Serving Size: 1 (324 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 511.7
- Calories from Fat 276
- Total Fat 30.7 g
- Saturated Fat 9.1 g
- Cholesterol 38.5 mg
- Sodium 1395.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 16.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: