Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
Crisp bacon makes this salad a real winner. I use turkey bacon with good success. Please don't try to substitute those artificial bacon bits in this recipe, it just won't work.
- 1⁄2 lb bacon
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 4 slices French bread, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 lb romaine lettuce, rinsed,dried,and torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
- Cook bacon until it is crisp by your favorite method.
- Crumble, and set it aside, reserving 2 tablespoons of the drippings in a small bowl.
- Whisk together the reserved bacon drippings, mayonnaise, vinegar and basil and let dressing sit, covered, at room temperature while you finish making the salad.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, toss the bread pieces with the salt and pepper.
- Drizzle with the oil, and cook, stirring constantly, until the croutons are crisp and golden brown.
- In a large salad bowl mix together the romaine, tomatoes, bacon and croutons.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well.
- Serve immediately.
Took this salad to a family gathering today. Brought home an empty dish. Everyone really liked it and said it tasted just like a BLT sandwich. The one change I made was to add a little Splenda to the dressing because I was afraid it was a little too tart. Definitely a keeper. Thanks, Geema!
This is much like Caesar Salad with a more vinegar like dressing & the addition of tomatoes. I used REAL bacon bits but "store bought" croutons since I was pressed for time. Thanx Geema!