This is a recipe that I found in my "Weber's Charcoal Grilling: The Art of Cooking with Live Fire" cookbook that sounds so delicious!!! I have adapted it a bit, or provided some items more likely to have on hand. I didn't add this to the instructions, but I would saute the shallots in the bacon grease for a few minutes, to soften them and take a bit of the bite out of the raw shallots, but that is just me.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb bacon, cut into bite sized pieces (reserve all the drippings)
- 2 tablespoons shallots, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar (it called for sherry vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme (or 1/4 - 1/2 tsp dried)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, stemmed
- 1 large crusty sandwich roll, cut in half lengthwise
- 12 ounces lettuce, torn into bit size pieces (your choice)
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced (white and light green parts only)
- olive oil, as needed
- 1Dice up the bacon into bite size pieces. Place a large skillet over medium heat and cook the bacon until crisp. Remove the bacon from the pan, making sure to reserve the bacon grease. Pour the grease into a measuring cup, you want to have 6 tablespoons of bacon grease and if you have less than that, add a little olive oil to top off the mixture.
- 2In a medium bowl, mix the shallot, vinegar, thyme, salt and pepper. Slowly add the bacon grease to the bowl while whisking.
- 3Add a little bit of the dressing to the tomatoes. Grill the tomatoes over medium heat in a grill basket, or just on the grill. Cook until the skins begin to crack and char. Roughly 4-5 minutes.
- 4While the tomatoes are cooking, cut the roll in half. Then brush the cut sides of the roll with a little of the dressing. Then grill the roll over direct medium heat until the bread begins to char and develop nice grill marks, but watch closing and don't burn it. Remove the bread from the grill and cut into large croutons.
- 5Arrange a bed of lettuce into individual bowls and top each with some of the bacon, tomatoes, scallions and croutons. Drizzle some(too taste) of the dressing over the top and enjoy.
Browse Our Top Salad Dressings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Salad Dressings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bacon, Lettuce and Grilled Tomato Salad
Serving Size: 1 (166 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 335.0
- Calories from Fat 238
- Total Fat 26.4 g
- Saturated Fat 8.6 g
- Cholesterol 38.5 mg
- Sodium 688.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 10.0 g