I got this recipe out of either Gourmet or Bon Apetite years ago. The bacon and leek combination with the nutmeg is great. It is easily doubled, reheats in the microwave easily, and freezes well. We often have this for breakfast during the week.
- 1 9 inch deep dish pie shell, unbaked and chilled
- 3 slices bacon
- 3 leeks, cleaned and sliced thinly (I use the white and about 1 to 1-1/2 inch of the green)
- 3 whole eggs, plus
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 egg white, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup Italian cheese blend (I use Sargento's)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried herbes de provence or 1⁄4 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg, if you don't have fresh,skip it
- paprika, optional
- Cook bacon until crisp, but do not over cook.
- Set aside to drain.
- Drain off fat from pan, leaving just a light coating in the pan.
- Add the sliced leeks, and cook over medium until wilted and limp, but do not brown.
- Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Brush pie crust with the beaten egg white.
- Finely chop the bacon and sprinkle evenly over the bottom of the pie crust.
- Sprinkle the leeks evenly over the bacon.
- Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the leeks.
- Beat the whole eggs, egg yolk, cream, half and half, herbs and nutmeg until well mixed, slightly thick and a lemon color.
- Slowly pour over the bacon, leek and cheese mixture.
- Smush down the cheese that floats to the top to coat with the egg mixture.
- It will settle down while baking.
- Sprinkle the top with paprika for a little extra color, if you like.
- Bake at 350 for about 35 min, or until knife inserted off center comes out clean.
- Let set 30 minutes before cutting.
- This can be served warm, room temperature or cold.
- I have made this for vegetarians without the bacon, and it is still quite good.