1/2 Photos of Bacon & Leek Quiche
I got this recipe out of either Gourmet or Bon Apetite years ago. The bacon and leek combination with the nutmeg is great. It is easily doubled, reheats in the microwave easily, and freezes well. We often have this for breakfast during the week.
My Private Note
9inch q ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 9 inch deep dish pie shell, unbaked and chilled
- 3 slices bacon
- 3 leeks, cleaned and sliced thinly (I use the white and about 1 to 1-1/2 inch of the green)
- 3 whole eggs, plus
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 egg white, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup Italian cheese blend (I use Sargento's)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried herbes de provence or 1/4 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg, if you don't have fresh,skip it
- paprika, optional
- 1Cook bacon until crisp, but do not over cook.
- 2Set aside to drain.
- 3Drain off fat from pan, leaving just a light coating in the pan.
- 4Add the sliced leeks, and cook over medium until wilted and limp, but do not brown.
- 5Set aside to cool.
- 6Preheat oven to 350.
- 7Brush pie crust with the beaten egg white.
- 8Finely chop the bacon and sprinkle evenly over the bottom of the pie crust.
- 9Sprinkle the leeks evenly over the bacon.
- 10Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the leeks.
- 11Beat the whole eggs, egg yolk, cream, half and half, herbs and nutmeg until well mixed, slightly thick and a lemon color.
- 12Slowly pour over the bacon, leek and cheese mixture.
- 13Smush down the cheese that floats to the top to coat with the egg mixture.
- 14It will settle down while baking.
- 15Sprinkle the top with paprika for a little extra color, if you like.
- 16Bake at 350 for about 35 min, or until knife inserted off center comes out clean.
- 17Let set 30 minutes before cutting.
- 18This can be served warm, room temperature or cold.
- 19I have made this for vegetarians without the bacon, and it is still quite good.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bacon & Leek Quiche
Serving Size: 1 (108 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 313.2
- Calories from Fat 195
- Total Fat 21.7 g
- Saturated Fat 9.9 g
- Cholesterol 146.8 mg
- Sodium 219.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 7.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Italian cheese blend
herbes de provence