Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Posting for ZWT6. A variation from Jeffs Great British Eats. Serve as main dish or with baked beans or mushy peas. Notice that you need LEFTOVER mashed potatoes so plan accordingly. British bacon looks more meaty than American-wonder if it resembles Canadian bacon?
- 473.18 ml mashed potatoes
- 14.79 ml vegetable oil
- 113.39 g butter, DIVIDED
- 141.74 g bacon, cut into 1-inch- 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium leek, halved and finely sliced
- 1.23 ml sugar
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 0.59 ml thyme, dried (optional)
- 141.74 g cheddar cheese, grated DIVIDED
- 1 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Warm your MASHED potatoes.
- Set them aside and keep warm.
- Heat and cook the bacon in HALF the butter and ALL the oil in a medium-to-large frying pan until just beginning to brown and crisp.
- Remove from pan with a slotted spoon.
- Add leek to the grease in the pan.
- Add seasoning to taste, and the sugar.
- Meanwhile, preheat broiler to highest temperature and position rack.
- Fry leek gently over medium heat until soft and caramelized. Take care not to burn!
- Return the bacon to the pan and stir evenly through leek.
- Pour the mixture evenly into a standard-sized (9") pie pan.
- Add the REMAINING butter and 4 ounces of the cheese to the warmed potatoes.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste and mix well.
- Spoon the potato-cheese mixture evenly over the leeks and bacon, sprinkle evenly with REMAINING cheese, top decoratively with tomato slices and season the tomatoes with just a touch more salt possibly pepper if you like.
- Place pie under the broiler until the cheese is melted and the top is nicely browned in spots.
Wow!! What is not to like about this recipe!!! I had leftover mashed potatoes, so this was a great way to make a yummy lunch for me. I did sub onions for the leeks as it was what I had on hand. It was like a loaded baked potato or twice baked potato with some added flavor from the onion/leeks. Thanks for sharing the recipe and it was made for Newest Tag Game!!