1/1 Photo of Bacon, Leek, and Potato Pie
Posting for ZWT6. A variation from Jeffs Great British Eats. Serve as main dish or with baked beans or mushy peas. Notice that you need LEFTOVER mashed potatoes so plan accordingly. British bacon looks more meaty than American-wonder if it resembles Canadian bacon?
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 ounces butter, DIVIDED
- 5 ounces bacon, cut into 1-inch- 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium leek, halved and finely sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon thyme, dried (optional)
- 5 ounces cheddar cheese, grated DIVIDED
- 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
- 1Warm your MASHED potatoes.
- 2Set them aside and keep warm.
- 3Heat and cook the bacon in HALF the butter and ALL the oil in a medium-to-large frying pan until just beginning to brown and crisp.
- 4Remove from pan with a slotted spoon.
- 5Add leek to the grease in the pan.
- 6Add seasoning to taste, and the sugar.
- 7Meanwhile, preheat broiler to highest temperature and position rack.
- 8Fry leek gently over medium heat until soft and caramelized. Take care not to burn!
- 9Return the bacon to the pan and stir evenly through leek.
- 10Pour the mixture evenly into a standard-sized (9") pie pan.
- 11Add the REMAINING butter and 4 ounces of the cheese to the warmed potatoes.
- 12Season with salt & pepper to taste and mix well.
- 13Spoon the potato-cheese mixture evenly over the leeks and bacon, sprinkle evenly with REMAINING cheese, top decoratively with tomato slices and season the tomatoes with just a touch more salt possibly pepper if you like.
- 14Place pie under the broiler until the cheese is melted and the top is nicely browned in spots.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bacon, Leek, and Potato Pie
Serving Size: 1 (261 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 645.7
- Calories from Fat 493
- Total Fat 54.8 g
- Saturated Fat 28.0 g
- Cholesterol 124.3 mg
- Sodium 1001.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 15.8 g