Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Simple title, simple recipe. I'm posting it because I just cooked it for my 16 year old son, who wants all his favourite recipes from home on RecipeZaar ready for when he goes to university in two years time.
- 400 g bacon (I buy mis-shapes for this since it is going to be chopped up anyway)
- 2 leeks
- 150 g curly kale (I buy ready trimmed, if you are trimming it yourself, buy a little more)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Slice the Leeks.
- If you have bought kurly kale that isn't trimmed, trim it now, disposing of any woody stalks.
- Chop the bacon if necessary. With buying the mis shapes packs of bacon, sometimes it does need to be chopped, other times it is already in small enough pieces.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large frying pan and another tbsp in a large saucepan (large enough to hold all that kale).
- Cook the bacon in the frying pan until done to your liking, some people like it crisped, some prefer it just cooked enough.
- Cook the leeks in the saucepan, over a low heat, so that they soften rather than brown.
- About 4 or 5 minutes before you think the bacon is done, put 3/4 of the kale into the saucepan with the leeks, stir and pop a lid on until the bacon is finished.
- When the bacon is done, tip it into the saucepan with the leeks and kale and add the rest of the kale. Stir to mix, the heat will be enough enough to wilt that last addition of kale.
- The bacon usually provides enough saltiness and the kale enough pepperiness, but taste and season if you think it is necessary.
- You could use any other dark green leafy vegetable depending on what is on offer. Spinach, Spring greens, green cabbage, anything like that. And you could substitute onions for the leeks if you wished.
WHat a wonderful cook you are! This had me salivating just reading it. And what a thoughtful son! He will be very glad he has these later in life, not just at college. How could anybody refer to a dish like this as 'icky'? It is as delicious as it sounds.
I was looking for something quick and easy to do with the kale, instead of salad. This was great! I didn't really measure anything, except using most of the 2 leeks. I had enough kale to stuff my large saucepan. I made the bacon in the micro and chopped and added it in (using 5 slices). Thanks!
Did this over the weekend. I do any greens, whether Kale, spinach, or whatever this way. My fry pan runneth over, lol, but the stuff cooks down a whole lot. Its quick, easy, and very tasty. I don't usually have leeks,so I used green onions. Sometimes I chop up regular onion and use it instead.