Recipe by Lori Mama
I saw this thing called Bacon Jam being served on one of the episodes of Eat St. on Food Network. So off I went in search of a recipe and found this one by Not Quite Nigella. I did make a slight adjustment.
Top Review by WiGal
Awesome savory condiment! Made and then put inside a fried egg sandwich. Yummy. I could eat right out of the jar but I will not to be that bad. Could see this in a grilled cheese, or sub in for sliced bacon in a BLT... The only thing I did differently was after step 3 I put into a crockpot for 3 hours, UNCOVERED, on high just so I could do some other stuff. Thank you LoriMama. DS would love this as he thinks women should wear bacon perfume!? I read that it keeps in fridge for 4 weeks.
- 1 lb smoked bacon, sliced into small pieces (or use regular bacon and liquid smoke)
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 medium brown onion, sliced
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- Tabasco sauce (according to taste and optional)
- 1 cup brewed coffee
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- black pepper
- extra water
- In a non stick pan, fry the bacon in batches until lightly browned and beginning to crisp.
- Fry the onion and garlic in the rendered bacon fat on medium heat until translucent.
- Transfer the bacon, onion and garlic into a heavy based cast iron pot and add the rest of the ingredients except for the water.
- Simmer for 2 hours adding 1/4 of a cup of water every 25-30 minutes or so and stirring.
- When ready, cool for about 15-20 minutes and then place in a food processor. Pulse for 2-3 seconds so that you leave some texture to the “jam” or of course you could keep whizzing and make it a smoother and more paste like.
- Serve on your favorite burger, grilled cheese, as an appetizer on crusty bread.
- The possibilities are endless.