Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I got this recipe from one of those community cookbooks that my mother-in-law gave me. I modified it slightly to suit our personal tastes. I hadn't made it for a long time but made it this Christmas Eve to serve with cabbage rolls - it was a HUGE hit. So, I thought I would share. There are several hash brown casseroles already posted but none with bacon.
- 2 lbs frozen hash browns
- 1 (10 ounce) can low-fat cream of chicken soup
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2 cups light sour cream
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 lb bacon
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Thaw hash browns for 30 minutes.
- While hash browns are thawing, prepare the bacon: Using clean scissors, cut the bacon into thin strips horizontally. Fry until crispy or desired doneness. (The scissor method saves the hassle of trying to crumble the bacon after it is cooked.).
- In a large bowl, mix together soup & sour cream & salt and pepper.
- Add melted margarine & mix well.
- Add the cheese & bacon and then the hash browns. Continue mixing until well combined.
- Spread mixture into 9 X 13 pan, lightly coated with cooking spray.
- Bake for 1 hour at 375 degrees.
I added chopped zucchini, onions, and mushrooms. I was out of sour cream so i substituted Ranch dressing. LOVED it! YUM!
Very good tasting recipe....I used cream of potato soup, as I don't care a whole lot for cream of chicken condensed soup....Very rich dish, so a little goes a long way. Thnx for posting, Debbb.