Recipe by swissms
From Gourmet magazine, November 1994. Savory muffin good served with soup. Best when eaten fresh out of the oven.
Top Review by LARavenscroft
Excellent muffins and a nice combination of flavors. I only made half of the recipe and was able to successfully make them gluten free. I used Swiss cheese instead of Gruyere since I had some in the fridge. Since I made these on a whim I also didn't have any fresh bacon to use so I used real bacon bits and butter to replace the bacon fat. Will definitely make these again and use the bacon fat. Thanks for posting this swissms! Made for 1~2~3 Hits.
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup grated gruyere cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped scallion
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425°F and butter twelve 1/3-cup muffin tins.
- In a skillet cook bacon over moderately low heat until crisp and transfer to paper towels to drain, reserving 1/4 cup bacon fat. Crumble bacon.
- In a bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, Gruyère, scallion, and bacon. In a small bowl whisk together milk, egg, mustard, and reserved bacon fat. Add milk mixture to flour mixture, stirring until just combined (do not overmix).
- Divide batter evenly among muffin tins and bake in middle of oven 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden and a tester comes out clean.